From Knucklehead to Businessman: James Tucker


“What you see is what you get.” This is how one of Oryx Nashville’sSenior Corporate Trainers, James Tucker, describes himself. Well, we sat down with James one-on-one to see exactly what we get.
So, James, where are you from?
I was born and raised in Chicago, IL
What were you like growing up?
I was a knucklehead for sure; I was known for pestering teachers.
Give me an example of when you pestered a teacher
I remember a time in Chemistry class on a test day, another student sarcastically asked the teacher if he had to take the test. The teacher smirked and said, “If you have a 100-grade average, then you don’t have to take it. Do you have a 100 average?” The student shook his head. Continuing to pass out the tests, the teacher made her way to me. She placed the test on my desk, I wrote my name at the top, and I slid my test to the front my desk and said, “Done.” Puzzled, the teacher asked, “What?” I replied, “Well, you said told that guy that he didn’t have to take the test if he had a 100 average, and I have a 100 average.” Realizing I was right, the teacher sternly answered, “James, you are taking this test.” I scored 100% on that test.
What activities were you involved in during High School?
I played baseball. I was really good at math and science, too. I have always been extremely right-brained.
What did you do after High School?
I joined the army right after graduating high school, and I was deployed to Irag twice.
What did serving in the military teach you?
The military taught me the discipline and respect that I was lacking. I also developed great leadership skills.
What did you do after your second tour to Irag?
I attended Auburn University, where I graduated with a degree in Software Engineering.
Why did you choose to major in Software Engineering
I had always wanted to design video games.
What did you do after you graduated from Auburn?
I worked for programming company, but quickly got really bored after 2 months, so I left. 
What did you do next?
I joined the National Guard and then decided that I wanted to be a police officer. I wanted to join the Chicago Police Department, but they were only hiring laterally at the time. I ended up joining the Nashville Police Department, where I served as a police officer and on the narcotics team until I was deployed to Afghanistan.
What did you do after your tour to Afghanistan?
After sitting around playing videos games for a while, I decided to put my resume online, and the Human Resources Department at Oryx Nashville called me in for an interview.
Were you excited about the opportunity?
I was hesitant about sales and marketing at first because I had never done it, but my friends and family recommend it. My dad has his own plumbing company, and he encouraged me to start a career in business.
How did your interview go with Oryx Nashville?
After taking the HireVue interview, I was invited to come in for a second interview, which was conducted by Alex Morris. The interview went very well, and I loved the opportunity for growth that Oryx Nashville offered.
What made you accept the offer?
Besides the opportunity for growth, I wanted to interact with people face-to-face instead of sitting at a desk all day.
What was your first day like at Oryx Nashville?
I loved the energy; everyone was very welcoming. I remember our current Assistant Manager, Christian Cardwell, having a big goofy smile, and it made me laugh.
Did the sales and marketing come naturally to you?
I studied the pitch before my first day, so that gave me a headstart; I made 2 sales my first day! 
Where are you now with the company?
I am currently a Senior Corporate Trainer, and my goal is to be promoted to an Assistant Manager by the end of May.
What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned while working at Oryx Nashville?
I have learned to be patient, focus on what you can control, and help others around you. 
What is your best advice to someone new in the company?
Know WHY you’re doing this. 
What do you like to do outside of work?
I enjoy spending time with my wife and daughter and reading (I am always reading 1 fiction book and 1 non-fiction book at the same time). I am also part of a motorcycle club that has a lot of military and police members in it. Oh, I’m a huge comic book nerd, too.
Last question: what is your favorite quote? 
“Success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time then you’ve been knocked down.”

Thank you to James for participating in our spotlight interview this month. Stay tuned for next month’s featured team member!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Senior Corporate Trainer Ashley

Oryx Nashville's Travel Highlights of 2017

All About Alex